Thursday, September 4, 2014

123 Days, Day 4 - Taking Inventory (Part 2), The List

Yesterday, I talked about Taking Inventory, and that in order to move forward, you need to see what you've got. And, I showed you some very messy photos taken in my studio at Tapp's Arts Center in Columbia, SC. There is so much STUFF, that you can't see what's Good and what's, well, not so Good. I also shared a quote by Brendon Burchard that says, "...Clarity comes with simplicity." But, How do I Simplify? If you're like me, I have a lot of paintings, supplies, papers, and trial runs. And, these are my Babies, my Heart, my Life's Work!

What I keep hearing from Life Coaches and Gurus and Motivational Geniuses is that if the Project is Overwhelming, Do something Simple. Just Make a List.

   Adam Savage says "...The project may be the lion, but the list is your whip."

So, here is my List of What to List: (K.I.S.S. - Don't make it hard)

1. List of What's Finished
    Title
    Image Size
    Framed Size
    Medium
    Price
           (This may seem like a Pain at first, but it will save time when trying to show at galleries, list on Artist websites, etc...)

2. List of What's Unfinished - or if you'd rather - make a Stack. Sometimes there is a reason pieces are unfinished, like they aren't progressing well, or you haven't made time for them. Whatever the reason, if they are on good paper or canvas, DON'T THROW THEM AWAY!...You can Gesso them and start over, or Bring them to one of my WaterMedia Options Workshops where you'll learn 12 Ways to Fix Dud Paintings.

3. List of Your Successes! - Thanks again to Mary Morrissey who talked about the very subject that I wanted to mention here in her "My Morning Mentor" at this link:
http://www.mymorningmentor.com/daily/your-list/?inf_contact_key=fccd0cfc8c78d5a877b18f5c997891dfec399741675b4f2eaf41b95c33645af5
She talks about how Abraham Lincoln was said to keep a newspaper clipping about himself in his pocket so that he could remind himself that he'd done some Good things, and there were some Good things about himself.

As I looked around my studio yesterday, I did see some Successes, Some Prize Winners and some pretty darn GOOD ART. So, in the spirit of reminding myself that there is some Good in that small, messy, overcrowded studio, here are a few snapshots...  



Tomorrow, I'll talk about Perseverance. There is a reason...
I will make my Lists in the next few days. But, First Thursday Art Shows are tonight in downtown Columbia, SC. So, until tomorrow...
   
Becoming Prolific,

Barbie

     

No comments:

Post a Comment