Sunday, September 14, 2014

123 Days, Day 14 - Focus

"I  NEVER  COULD  HAVE  DONE  WITHOUT  THE  HABITS
OF  PUNCTUALITY,  ORDER,  AND  DILIGENCE...
THE  DETERMINATION  TO  CONCENTRATE  MYSELF  
                 ON  ONE  SUBJECT  AT  A  TIME. "                                                                                                                       --Charles Dickens 

In 2000, Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen and Les Hewitt came out with a book that hit #1 on the New York Times  and USA Today Bestsellers List. It's called The Power of FOCUS, How To Hit Your Business, Personal, And Financial Targets With Absolute Certainty. I obviously have not read this book quite enough lately, but I reread parts of it tonight after procrastinating so much yesterday, I did figure out yesterday that one of the reasons I procrastinate is out of fear--fear of the blank page, fear of not knowing how to get started, fear that it will take a long time and then no one will, gasp, want it. But, once I put some paint down and just begin, I keep going and going. And, it usually turns out pretty well--if I can finish it.

I did realize when reading in The Power of FOCUS that part of my procrastination is unintentional because I'm doing what many people do everyday. I'm focusing the largest percentage of my time on what I'm not good at. The book suggests keeping a notepad by you and recording in 15 minute intervals how you spend your time. Most people will find that they are spending 80 - 90% of their time on things they aren't good at, or on time wasters, and only 10-15% of their time (if that much) on what they are really good at. The book suggests actually finding your area of "BRILLIANCE", spend your time perfecting it through "PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE", and delegate the rest if possible. When you think about the great Artists, Musicians, Business People, Athletes, etc...this is what they have done. So, you and I can now think about creating our day to spend the majority of our time on what we are good at. For me, that would be primarily painting and then teaching. I hope to further my expertise in just one area of painting as the year goes on.

Today, I did face the paper and pour some paint on. This is background color for some paintings that will emerge this week. These are Golden Fluid Acrylics on wet Fabiano 300 lb. Cold Press Paper.


This is also the beginning of the pet portrait. I have drawn the poodle onto the Fabriano 300 lb. Cold Press Paper, and applied masking fluid to a few light spots in the eyes and on the fur.


More tomorrow after I teach 2 wonderful people watercolor painting.  

Being Prolific,

Barbie  

No comments:

Post a Comment