Thursday, September 11, 2014

123 Days, Day 11 - Remembering

I can't let this day go by without saying that I remember what happened when the USA had 4 separate attacks on September 11, 2001 by the terrorist group, al-Qaeda. As almost 3000 lives were lost, it was a day that changed our country and the course of history forever, and I shall never forget. Not only were families devastated, but buildings and businesses were in ruins. Ripples of loss spread throughout the nation.

I didn't know anyone personally who died on 9/11, but I can tell you how it effected me as an Artist. There was an immediate change in the Art World. There used to be Decor Shows held in large cities all around the country. Buyers from art galleries and frame shops would come to see all of the newly published posters and prints, old botanicals, frame equipment and supplies, etc...and place their orders. That year, I was going to go to the show in Atlanta. It was cancelled. And, I'm sure that it effected thousands of art and framing businesses in the the south alone. In the next few years, the Decor show never recovered. People stopped wanting to travel as much. Eventually, all of the Art Buyers shows ceased to exist except in Las Vegas and New York - that I know of. It was also a time in the years after that more people gained access to computers, and so orders were placed online. But, things are just not the same. However, people are still in need of beautiful surroundings now more than ever. And, we creatives are still painting and providing a service to others by creating our art.        

Never Forget, but Keep on Keepin' On.
God Bless the USA!

Becoming Prolific,

Barbie

No comments:

Post a Comment