Wednesday, September 17, 2014

123 Days, Day 17 - Pet Portrait cont. and Yardwork/Family Day,

Well, today was one of those days that I fully intended to get up and paint all day, but it didn't happen. My sister stopped by for a visit for a couple hours which was wonderful because I don't get to see her that often. And, I also had to do yardwork while I was in the mood because it is so rare that I am in the mood. The lawn was raked, mowed, and flowerbeds (with no flowers) were weeded to prepare for the time when I will to some planting.

I did put 2 more coats of paint on the
Pet Portrait. As I've said in previous blogs, I like to work in layers of colors called glazes because you can actually see little specks and sparkles of other colors coming through. "Underneath" colors are important. And, it adds to the character of the painting that you couldn't get with just one layer of watercolor paint.    

Here are more layers: This (right) became...

This...(below)The back wall had two more layers of French Ultramarine Blue. It will probably stay this color because the person who commissioned this wants deep rich colors (navy and maroon).

     The French Ultramarine Blue over Red, and showing my color charts and reference photo...

The chair got a coat of Winsor Red, but it will eventually end up a maroon-tone leather.If it doesn't, I will take a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and wipe it down and start over. Really. If you're a beginner, the Magic Eraser like you use on walls and dirt spots is your friend as a watercolor artist.
I still have more layers to do, and to finish Lace's fur and soften edges, etc...

More tomorrow. Hopefully I will do more on the pictures for the State Fair that are due for Take-in by Tuesday,

I just want to encourage people that are afraid of watercolor painting. It CAN be fixed. So no worries. I will teach you as I go along. I've made enough mistakes for us all, so we're good now. I can FIX it!

Being Prolific,

Barbie

No comments:

Post a Comment