Friday, September 26, 2014

123 Days, Day 26 - Hilarie Lambert Workshop

Every year, Trenholm Artists Guild hosts a workshop or two in the Columbia, SC Metro Area.This was the first day of a 2-day Workshop held in Ron Weather's most wonderful, bright, spacious Studio in West Columbia. Hilarie Lambert, a very accomplished Oil Painter who lives in the Charleston area, is doing a fantastic job as our leader. Today, she taught us the importance of using a range of values in a painting from darkest darks to lightest lights.
Hilarie begins by toning her painting. Then she uses a brush and paint to sketch the painting using basic shapes. In this painting she used Winsor Newton Blue Black. (My new favorite color for underpainting) You can see in the above photo the still-life that she has sketched.

 Here is a close-up of how she found the lightest light and the darkest dark.


Hilarie's Palette was Blue Black, Lemon Yellow, Permanent Rose and White.
Just look at all of the color combinations she gets from a 4-color limited palette!

Hilarie is painting the lights with yellow and pinks 

 
This the Still-life that I painted from.

 Here is my Value Sketch.

 Here is my Value Sketch Perfected.

 
This is my Painting. Remember we had no real Blue - Only Blue Black

These are the terrific paintings that everyone did in the Workshop
with the exception of Ron Weather's 2 Larger Paintings above.
Hilarie reminded us that these aren't intended to be finished paintings-only Value Studies.


What can I say but that I am having a terrific, seriously life-changing painting experience. I am understanding Oil Painting in a way I never knew was possible, and I can't wait until tomorrow! 

With Love and Gratitude for All I'm learning, for the One Teaching, and All of the Helpers making this workshop possible, and...

Being Prolific,

Barbie   

No comments:

Post a Comment