Monday, September 15, 2014

123 Days, Day 15 - Making Progress

The day started out with a Semi-Private Watercolor Class at my house. My students were interested in learning to paint a Rose from a photograph. Whenever I teach how to paint a flower, I talk about how to put the image on the paper with graphite paper. Then we talk about how to mix colors for the petals, leaves and background options. There is always more than one option for how to apply the paint. In this case we chose to use layers of glazes which is gradually layering one color on top of the other. These paintings aren't complete yet but you can see in the photo below that we use a black and white photo to see values, a color photo to compare color mixtures, and our color chart and glazing chart. Next week, I'll show my students with finished pieces.

     
  After class, I worked a little on my Pet portrait commission of this Poodle.


 I started the painting by wetting the 300 lb. Fabriano paper. Then using Winsor Newton Professional Grade Watercolors, I applied raw umber and started creating the curly fur texture. I then blocked in the background chair and wall with raw umber. I also used permanent rose mixed with cobalt blue and raw umber to start creating shadow areas, fur around eyes, nose, mouth an tongue. I then started layering colors on the irises of the eye. As you can see on the color charts next to the painting, I will layer colors (called glazing) to create deep rich colors that will cause the poodle to stand out.
I will be working on this more this week.

Happy Painting!

Being Prolific,

Barbie 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment